Ministry of Immigration & Population
- Ministry of Defense
- Ministry of Home Affairs
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ministry of Union Government Office (1)
- Ministry of Union Government Office (2)
- Ministry of Border Affairs
- Ministry of Planning and Finance
- Ministry of Investment and Foreign Economic Relations
- Ministry of International Cooperation
- Ministry of Legal Affairs
- Ministry of Information
- Ministry of Religious Affairs & Culture
- Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation
- Ministry of Transport and Communications
- Ministry of Natural Resources & Environmental Conservation
- Ministry of Electric Power
- Ministry of Energy
- Ministry of Industry
- Ministry of Labour
- Ministry of Commerce
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Science and Technology
- Ministry of Health & Sports
- Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs
- Ministry of Construction
- Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief & Resettlement
- Ministry of Hotel & Tourism
- Ministry of Ethnic Affairs
Ministry of Immigration and Population
1. Immigration Bureau was established on August 1, 1941 under Labour Department. Under Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Immigration Division was established on August 10, 1945. On February 24, 1959 Population Commissioner’s Office was established under Ministry of National Planning. On August 1, 1951 Registration Chief Officer’s Office was established under Ministry of Home Affairs.
2. Combining Immigration Division, Registration Chief Officer’s Office and Population Commissioner’s Office on June 1, 1957, the Ministry of Immigration and Population was established. U Sao Tun Aye, U Khin Maung Phyu, U Nu, U Ba Saw, U Kyaw Soe were the ministers who served as ministers consecutively. On March 15, 1972, the Ministry was annulled and was re-organized as Department of Immigration and Population under the Ministry of Home Affairs and Religious Affairs.
3. As the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Ministry of Religious Affairs were formed as two separate ministries according to the Order No. (23/92) of the State, Law and Order Restoration Council dated March 20, 1992, the Department of Immigration and Population had become the subordinate department of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
4. In order that the administrative tasks could be carried out more effectively, the State, Law and Order Restoration Council on 15 June 1995 issued Order No. (31/95) and thus established the Ministry of Immigration and Population again and it had only one department. According to the cabinet meeting of the government of the Union of Myanmar held on 3 October 1997 and upon the approval of the State Peace and Development Council, Department of Immigration and Registration and Department of Population were separated as two different departments on 12 January, 1998.
5. As the main duties of the ministry such as the tasks of immigration, national registration and citizenship registration and population data collection are vital for the politics, economics and social of the State, upon the approval of the cabinet meeting number (26/2015) of the government of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and according to the order number (2/2016) of the minister’s office on 7 January 2016, the minister’s office and three departments namely Department of Immigration, Department of National Registration and Citizenship and Department of Population were formed under the Ministry of Immigration and Population.
6. The President’s Office of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar order number (3/2016) the Ministry of Labour, Employment and Social Welfare and the Ministry of Immigration and Population were combined as the Ministry of Labour, Immigration and Population.
7. The State Administration Council, pursuant to Article 419 of the Constitution (2008), by issuing order no. 150/2021 on 1st August, 2021, divided the Ministry of Labour, Immigration and Population into the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of Immigration and Population.
8. According to the resolution of the cabinet meeting of the Union of Republic of Myanmar (1/2022) held on 2nd February, 2022, the Ministry of Immigration and Population was reformed as follows-
(a) Minister’s Office
(b) Department of Immigration
(c) Department of National Registration and Citizenship
(d) Department of Population
(e) Department of Electronic Identification
- To maintain, supervise and carry out in accordance with laws and procedures immigration and foreigner control tasks for the persistence of the State, the perpetuation of the sovereignty and the national security.
- To maintain, supervise and carry out systematically in accordance with laws and procedures, based on patriotism, national registration tasks, citizenship tasks, citizenship registration and citizenship scrutinization tasks, which are to be performed for the persistence of the State, the perpetuation of the sovereignty and the preservation of the race.
- To achieve concrete and precise population statistics and index that will enhance in drawing security and administrative projects of the State.
- To carry out Immigration, National Registration and Citizenship Registration and Population Enumaration tasks in line with laws and procedures by utilizing sophisticated high-end technologies and by making use of high capacity human resources.
- To carry out tasks by abiding the policies and guidance of the government.
National Registration and Citizenship Registration
The main functions of Immigration and Popluation are:
- Control in line with the prescribed laws the entry and exit of the Myanmar Citizens as well as the foreigners.
- Identify and prosecute illegal entry in accord with the existing laws.
- Control in line with the prescribed laws the stay and movement of the foreigners within the country.
- Register, inspect and update the national registration in accord with the prescribed laws.
- Carry out citizenship scrutinizing tasks according to the Myanmar Citizenship Law (1982).
- Survey, analyze and report the results of the demographic data in order that the population policy of the State can be set for the social development of the whole nation.
- Enumarating population census in order to get the accurate pupulation statistics in accord with the policy of the State.
- Conducting surveys in order to get population statistics that supporsts the social development projects of the State and security measures, and project the population of the respective regions of the State.
- Performing as the focal point while coordinating with the UNFPA and UNCHR for the activities of population and humanitarian supports.